Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thanksgiving

This year, Thanksgiving wasn't really Thanksgiving.  There wasn't the thrill of the day off before to get things ready to eat.  The idea that later that day, you would be with your family, stuffing yourself with food, and looking at the sales for Black Friday.  My Thanksgiving wasn't that exciting.

I woke up, and Andrew and I went to the Metro to met Jess so we could go to a museum.  It was a pretty cool museum.  It was all about the way that people lives all over the world.  From Native Americans, to Mongolians, to Japanese.  It was pretty cool.  Then we ate lunch at the KG, and then went back to the apartment.  There, we spent the 2 or so hours getting ready for our lessons, and making our dinner.

We taught the kids, and they were kind of awful.  I had from the kids that were grabbing everything, to the ones that were hitting each other, to everything basically went wrong.  It was a lot of fun... Not.  Then we had a parents teachers conference.  It was interesting.  We walked in, and there are a bunch of parents and the Principal just talking rapidly in Russian.  Then it was our time.  We introduced ourself, and we had Sydney's Level 5 kids translate for us.  It took forever and a day to be over.

We then went back to the apartment, and finished a few more things for dinner.  Then we got to eat!  It made me miss being home and having Thanksgiving there.  There was mashed potatoes to stuffing to rolls to veggies.  The turkey was missing though.  First of all, I don't know how to buy meat here, so we just don't.  Secondly, we have vegetarians here, and they are the most vocal ones, so we didn't get any.  Overall it just wasn't really Thanksgiving.  Next year, I am going to be so grateful to be home with my family.

I would have to say, I am thankful for my family, my friends, the chance that I am here in Russia, the opportunities that I have to serve others, and technology that I can use to talk to people on the other side of the world!

My Level 1 girls

No comments:

Post a Comment