Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Once I decided to erupt a volcano

For the month of April, I had a club at work.  I decided that it would was a dinosaur theme.  I named it Land Before Time.  The first week I had the little kids.  They were fun, but not as fun as having the older kids.  Some of the activities we did were: building a volcano, erupting the volcanoes, lava tag, scavenger hunt for dinosaurs, and painting volcanoes.  I think that it went quite well.  With the older kids, we actually painted the volcanoes because we had more time, and they didn't make as big as mess as the little kids would have.

We started with just some salt dough.  With the little kids, they just created a volcano.  They didn't work as well because they didn't stand up as well.  After they had dried over the weekend, we erupted them with baking soda and vinegar.  I added water and soap for more bubbles.  I thought it was fun that way.  With the older kids, I had them create the volcanoes around a little plastic cup.  I think it helped them stand up better, and it was also easier to have them erupt.  The older kids really wanted to paint them, so I let me.  I actually turned out better than I thought they were.  The kids painted them quite nicely.

My trial volcano and dinosaur.

After the eruption!

No comments:

Post a Comment