Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Just Take a Moment

Today I had the chance to listen to Elizabeth Smart speak.  She spoke to anyone who wanted to listen to her speak on campus.  I remember I was like in 3rd grade when she was kidnapped, and that my brother was at  Mill Hollow for the week with school, and I thought that he was also going to get kidnapped. Anyway, so she spoke to us about her kidnapping.
She said that it was the scariest thing that has ever happened to her.  The first night after she got raped, she felt worthless, and that no one would ever love her.  But as she had time to think about it, she realized that her family will always love her.  Just because this guy decided to do this awful thing to her, doesn't change who she is.  Her family will always love her.  At the end of her speech, she told us this one thing that her mom told her.  That no matter what awful thing happens to you, that you need to be happy.  In her circumstance, don't let her captures take control of her life and miserable.  That be happy.  It was a learning experience, and you need that to be a better person.  That when you are happy, your circumstance isn't dictating what you are feeling, you are.  I thought that what she said was so powerful.
I am so glad that I went.  She was a phenomenal speaker.  That she went through these awful things, and she is still a strong women.

No comments:

Post a Comment