Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Fun Things

On Tuesday, Andrew, Jessica and I went inside of two cathedrals here in St. Pete's.  The first one was called the Kazan's Cathedral.  When we got there they were having a service, and it was interesting to listen to them chant their prayers.  After that we went to St. Isaac's Cathedral.  At St. Isaac, you can climb to the top of it, and see the view.  After 262 stairs, and a stairwell thing, we reached the top.  The view was amazing. Up that high, the wind was very strong, and it was really cold, but it was so worth it.  In St. Pete's there aren't any hills, so we were able to see far in any direction.  We would have been able to see more, but it was also raining a little bit, so that made it harder to see.  Then we went inside of the Cathedral.  All the cathedrals I've been in have been pretty.  This cathedral was super pretty.  The ceiling had all sorts of detailed paintings and mosaics.  It was pretty to see.

On Friday night, we went to Russian class.  For the first hour and half, it is fine, but then it just gets overwhelming, and I don't pay attention.  But I have learned quite a bit, but I have a hard time speaking it.  Now when the Russian teachers talk to the kids, I can understand some words.  It is exciting when that happens.  After Russian class, we went to the, wait for it, the Circus!!!

I had never been to the circus before this one.  So I didn't exactly know what to expect.  I really enjoyed going to the circus!  We got there, and the helpful Andrew bought the tickets.  Andrew and I paid together, and so we sat by each other.  Then Ty bought hers, and then Courtney, Sydney, and Marci got theirs.  Those three sat by each other in a different part than me and Andrew.  (Our tickets were better than theirs, haha.)  Then at intermission, we moved seats so we could see better.  That was a smart idea.  After the circus we went and got blini.  Haha, a common occurrence.

The circus was amazing!  There were a few acts that I thought were kind of boring.  Juggling is pretty cool, but not after watching them do the same tricks for about 15 minutes.  I got bored with them.  My favorite act was either the guys who were like trapeze swingers, but they didn't catch each other, or these acrobats that did a bunch of flips off a swinging platform.  There were also poodles that did tricks, and drum roll.... lions!  The lion trainer had ten lions in his area at one time.  He did tricks with them, like roll over them, and he even stuck his head in one of the lion's mouths.  It was quite a sight to see.  Then a little boy went in with the lion, and I didn't really like that.  But overall, I am really glad that I went. I really enjoyed it.

Then Saturday for our excursion with Sveta, we went to Victory Square.  It is a square dedicated to the workers, and their families, and citizens from World War 2.  It was an interesting museum to go to.  Then we went to the cemetery that had all the victims buried there.  It was kind of a sad excursion, but very interesting.  After that, I picked up my package my mom sent!  It made me really, really happy to get it!  I got food, and my card adaptor, so I can put pictures on my computer!  Then Andrew decided that he wanted to go to the Mega, so we went shopping.  He bought a new coat, which I need to get one, or I am going to freeze!  I also need to get boots.  The only thing that I got was a scarf.  Which I needed that, and I'm glad I got one.

Then Monday night, Andrew and I were invited to one of my student's house for dinner.  That was interesting.  Her parents told us that we were to play with her for an hour, and then we would eat.  Well, once we got there, she became really shy, and wouldn't talk to us.  Which is strange because she loves to talk in my class.  Her dad decided that we should eat, and maybe she would be less shy, which kind of worked, but not really.  I was really glad Andrew was there.  If he wasn't it would have been really awkward.

Then on Tuesday, Steve came.  Steve is one of the head honchos at ILP.  It was a stressful day, but I think it went okay.  My teaching wasn't the best because when he came into my there was about 20 minutes left of the day, and I had the littlest group, and their attention span isn't the best.  Oh well.  I survived, until Marci tells me what he thinks today...  Oh fun.

Those have been the adventures that I've done for the past week or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment