Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Peterhof Round 2!

I went to Peterhof again on the 3rd, and it was simply fabulous!  When we originally went, Jess didn't get to go.  She was at her Host Family's dacha.  Andrew decided that he was going to take Jess to Peterhof because she really wanted to go, and because she asked him too.  It was such a great day to go.

First of all, we got in for free.  I absolutely love the fact that we got a student card.  It is basically the best thing in the world.  There has been so many places where we have gotten in for free, or half off.  It makes sightseeing super easy.  When we first got there, none of the fountains were on.  That was the main reason why Jess really wanted to go.  We were sad that the fountains weren't on.  Jess then made Andrew go up to the closest worker there and ask about the fountains.  We were told that the fountains turn on at 11 so we didn't need to worry.  We checked the time , and was right before 11, so we went down the Grand Cascade to watch the fountains turn on.

The fountains were amazing to watch turn on!  We were very glad that we were there at that time.

We preceded on our journey, and it was great.

In the Peterhof, there are little houses that you could go in.  The first time that we went, we didn't go in.  The fact that there were only three of us, it made it easier to go inside the houses, and also because of the student cards.  The first one we went into was called the First Hermitage.  It is this little house where Peter the Great would entertain foreign guests.  When you walk in, there is a kitchen, and this weird contraption thing.  What it really was is this table that seats 14 guest.  The table is connected to this pulley system, and it gets pulled up to the second floor where the table was.  I wish that we could have taken pictures, but it wasn't allowed.  It was a super cool contraption.

We stopped at the shore for probably half an hour to take pictures, when we just walked past it with the group last time.  I ended up walking on rocks to get to the shore, and get a souvenir rock, and of course to take awesome pictures.  We then went to a building that had model yachts, and the dishes of the yachts.  It could have been more fun if everything wasn't in Russian.

The last house that we went to was Peter the Great's Study.  His study was pretty cool, and full of books.  I couldn't image studying and looking out to the view.  It would be pretty breath-taking. We finished looking at all the fountains, and went back.  We had to hurry a little bit because we had to teach, but it was fine.

I would say that the overall adventure was a successful one, and I am glad that I went!

2 comments:

  1. Today, I discovered you had a blog. There was much rejoicing, because now I can creep on you in a much more detailed way ;) LOVE this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am soooo glad you can creep on me like that. It makes me feel loved! :)

      Delete