Monday, June 24, 2013

Directing traffic, and other grand stuff

Oh, the great time of West Fest.  It's the time to celebrate the great city of West Valley City.  It comes complete with carnival rides and games, booths about things in the city, stores that you can by things, and food.  Oh, and there was a stage for a talent show, and concerts.  It is a real lovely time for the citizens here. Well, because I work for the Fitness Center, which is ran by West Valley City, and the location for West Fest, my co-workers and I got the lovely job of helping with the West Fest 5k.

The 5k is a joyous event for people who like to run, or be competitive.  Not so much for the employees to man it.  I had to be there by 6:45 so we could man our post.  What they do is, they load us up on a van, and drop us off at locations to direct the runners.  Well.... it's real fun.  You sit there looking like your lost, confused, homeless, etc until the first runners come, and then you direct them on the way to go.  But most of the runners already know the path, so basically you stand there trying to be helpful.  Then you wait for the van to come and pick you up again.  Then you follow them creepily in the van, picking up the other staff.  It is a real fun way to spend a Saturday morning.  After you finish with that, you get to help doing little errands that the head guys want you to.  It's a blast and a half.  And finally you get to go home tired.  I really enjoy race days... NOT!
Standing on an island in the middle of the road

The last of the runners.
After the race, Alli and I went to the YSA Summit.  It was good for the most part.  When we got there, they told us about this huge speed dating thing they were doing.  How it works is you text a number with your name, and then they text you back with a number, and then you put it on a sticker for the world to see.  When you see someone that you find attractive, funny, etc. you text their number into the system and it saves it for you.  If that number thinks you are above mentioned things, and text your number in, then it will tell both of you that you texted each other's numbers and will send you their phone number.  And volia, you get a number.  But this only works if you guys see each other.  Haha, I don't know if it actually worked or not, but it was clever.
My number!
The speakers were good.  The first guy, Matt Townsend, is a relationship specialist.  He was quite funny, but I felt like it went on for a while, and then there was a lady, who I forgot her name, and then T.C. Christensen.  The director of the movies 17 Miracles, and Ephraim's Rescue. He talked to us, and then the actor who played Ephraim in the movie, Darin Southam, spoke to us.  It was good, but it was a long time to be there sitting.  After that, we had dinner, and then had a talent show.  The talent show was pretty great, but I had a slight problem.  I needed to be home by 9, and Alli wasn't going home before that.  I was a little stressed out about that, but then my parents came and got me.

Then at 9, I went with my friend Josh to watch the lovely fireworks of West Fest.  The fireworks were pretty great.  I really enjoyed them.  Then we got shakes at Culvers and went home.

Excited for fireworks!
The only firework I caught.  Haha
Then Sunday night, there was a devotional downtown featuring Brad Wilcox.  His talk was pretty good too. Then we congregated and ate rice crispy treats.  It was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment