Tuesday, September 18, 2012

First Week! Check!

The first week of teaching is finished! I Survived!!  Yay!  Haha.  I didn't think that I would.  But I did.  The first couple of days were pretty stressful and hard.  

Teaching Primary, so the littlest kids, is pretty hard.  These kids have an attention span of like a two year old.  That could partly be because I'm trying to speak to them in another language.  But there are some kids who try, and I can see that they are trying.  I was first in a room that had very little space.  Then one of the Russian Teachers told me that I couldn't go in there, so I was in another room which had more space.  It was better, but I was with all toys.  Now that was bad.  Kids and toys in the same room... bad idea.  Somehow I kept their attention somewhat.  Then yesterday, another Russian Teacher told me I had to go back to the first room.  I wasn't to happy about that.  Partly because I needed more room to do my activities.  I teach gym like activities, and having little space is hard.  I do as much as I can with the space.  The other part was because my head teacher was evaluating me.  Which we were late starting, and late to other things, and let's just say I felt like it was a really bad lesson to be evaluated.  But again, I've only been doing this for a week.  So I know there is room for improvements.

Level One....  The first class was awful.  The second class went better.  I was more prepared for things.  Things were going fine, and then I lost their attention.  Which means bad news bears.  I was trying to figure out what to do to keep their attention, and I thought of writing on the board.  I go into the next room and ask the girl teaching in there if there was chalk in there.  She didn't really say anything to that.  So I looked and I told her there was none.  She snapped at me and said, "This is my classroom, and you NEED to get out."  It was so rude.  I tried to keep it together, but it didn't happen.  While talking to Alisa, one of the girls, I started to cry.  It was bad.  I continued teaching, and Ali, one of the girls kept asking, why are you crying over and over again.  I finally decided that I was going to tell them, but they didn't understand.  That is why I said I was crying was that they weren't listening to me.  It was a bad day.  The only highlight that I had was that one of the girl's dad was standing outside of my classroom for half an hour, and told me that I was doing a good job.  That made me really happy.  The lesson I taught yesterday was pretty great.  Part of that was that I only had three girls there.  Alisa, and Igor got moved to the Level 2 class, so I only have 4 girls now.  That has made it a whole lot better.  I can spend more time with each of the girls showing them how to read.  During the lesson, we had more interactive activities.  We wrote on the chalkboard, drew pictures, and it basically was so much better!  I think I'll like Level One a whole lot more.  
Hopefully I'll start to like Primary more!

At the end of the first week, I moved back to the Head Teacher's Apartment.  I'm a little upset about this.  That is because I don't really fit in with the girls I'm living with.  Also, my bed is in the middle of where everyone gathers.  I don't like it, at all.  This will most definitely going to be an interesting semester.

Ali and Violet laughing during Level One lesson

First Day of Teaching! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment