Tuesday, January 13, 2015

I got a big person job!

Let's just say, I'm super grateful to have a job.  The adventure of job searching wasn't that fun.  I spent so many hours looking at job boards, and applying for jobs.

The very first job that I had an interview for was with a Skilled Nursing Facility in South Jordan.  I applied, and got an interview the same day I filled out the application. Then I got an interview the following week.  I go, and I'm super nervous because this is the first interview I've had since probably 2012 when I applied at the Fitness Center.  (Well there was the interview I had with Tara, and that was all sorts of fun.  Haha.  It is in the first part of this post if you want to know about the fun of that interview.)  Anyway, I go to this interview, and I'm talking to the lady, and she's telling me about the facility, and my responsibilities.  The facility specializes in Alzheimer's and Dementia residents, which I don't have any experiences with.  Up to this point, I have only worked with children.  No adults, and no adults with disabilities, only children.  So I told her that, and some other things.  She asked so many questions, and wrote all these things down, and it was intimidating.  At the end of the interview, she thanked me, and I left.  I didn't quite know what to think about working there.  After like 2 weeks, I realized that I wasn't going to get the job.

The next one was working with disabled adults doing like a day camp thing.  I got the interview, but I didn't get a second one.  I wasn't sure about that job either.  Obviously I didn't get that job either.

At this time I was getting discourage about finding a job.  Part of this is because I don't know what I want to do.  I kept looking, but nothing was happening.  I thought about what I've done, and what I should look at.  I decided to ask this lady from 4h about a job.  I set up an interview with her, and then she couldn't do it, so we rescheduled it for a week later.

About this time, I got a call from an application that I filled out back in December, and I was surprised.  We set up an interview time, and I was all ready.  I got directions to the facility, and I was ready.  Well, apparently I didn't follow the directions well enough, and I didn't take the exit, and ended up going up Parley's.... Which, one, it was snowing in the canyon, two, I was going the wrong direction, and I didn't know where I could turn around, and three, I thought I was going to be late to my interview.  While I was driving, I found a place where I could pull off the road, and look at the map, and call the place.

During the call, I said the wrong name, and I wasn't sure who I was interviewing with, and it was a mess.  Finally things go straighten out, and I got to the facility.  I even got there 5 minutes early.  I was surprised by that.

I got to the facility, and we couldn't find the lady that I was supposed to be interviewing with.  (Now I know why.  She is a very difficult lady to keep a hold of).  So I sat down with one of the employees and just talked with him.  It calmed me down, (because I was a little stressed out about everything that had happen), and I felt fine being there.  Finally we found her, and she took me down to her office, and did the interview.  The interview was good, and I felt good about it.  At the end of the interview, she offered me the job.  I was sooooooooo excited about it!  She liked what I had said, and thought that I would be a good person to have working there.  It made me very happy!

Then I remembered that I had the 4h interview the next day.  So I talked to my dad about what I should do.  I decided that I was going to go to that interview too.  I'm all ready, and I get there, and couldn't find parking.  That seems to be a common theme going to place.  Haha.  This time, I couldn't find the room I was supposed to go in.  I found it and went in to go to my interview.  I sat there for 20 minutes, and this lady brings me a phone.  It turned out that this lady was sick, and didn't come in.  She forgot about the interview because it wasn't in one of her calenders.  We ended up talking on the phone for 15 minutes about options.  She liked me, and really wanted me to work for her, but I had already told the other lady that I would work for her.

It felt nice that I had two job offers within 24 hours of each other.  Now if I would have gotten the 4h interview first, I don't know what would have happened.  I told the 4h lady that I would see if I could still help her, so hopefully I can!!

That is how I got my big kid job!!  I had to wait a week before I could actually start, but I got a job!! :)  I'm working at a Skilled Nursing Facility as the Recreational Assistant.  I have my own desk, and chair, and cork board, and keys, and it makes me feel important!

Look at me with my big kid job!

Filling out paperwork.  My favorite.

Exciting month planned!  I didn't plan it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment